This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 760081 — PMSB.
Postdoc position (100%) at the Digital and Cognitive Musicology Lab, EPFL Lausanne
The Digital and Cognitive Musicology Laboratory (DCML) at EPFL invites applications for a postdoc candidate in music cognition. The postdoc position is available in the context of the H2020-ERC-funded project “Principles of Musical Structure Building: Theory, Computation, and Cognition.” The research project explores syntactic structures in music, combining theoretical, computational, and psychological approaches. We are looking for a candidate who shares our fascination for the musical mind and joins the team to study the perception and acquisition of musical syntax using experimental methods from music psychology. The research will be conducted in close collaboration with other project members who focus on theoretical and computational aspects of musical syntax.
- Applicants should have a PhD in the fields of (empirical) musicology, (music) psychology, cognitive science, or a closely related field
- High knowledge in statistics and experimental research; background in computer programming an asset
- Experience in planning and conducting empirical research projects
- Background or strong interest in music theory
- Team spirit with the ability to work in interdisciplinary collaborations
- Fluent English (French an asset)
What we offer
- A young and dynamic lab with members from diverse disciplinary backgrounds (musicology, computer science, psychology, and mathematics)
- The EPFL provides an excellent and stimulating research and teaching environment as well as a dynamic and lively international campus with a vibrant student life and cultural events
- Being located at the Lac Leman, Lausanne is a picturesque city with multiple possibilities for recreational and cultural activities
Start date is flexible. We seek to fill the position in early 2019.
Term of employment: Fixed-term (CDD)
Work rate: 100%
Duration: 1 year, renewable up to 3 years
Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, list of publications, and a list of two references with full contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline for application: Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.